Tom Dunn was born in 1850, he was the son of Willie Dunn and brother to Willie Dunn Jnr. He died in 1902. More than anyone, Tom Dunn was the architect of Golf in London.
He was employed by several London clubs, including Hanger Hill Golf Club, London Scottish Golf Club, and Tooting Bec Golf Club and was a prolific designer of golf courses in the UK and abroad.
The courses in Greater London credited as the designs of Tom Dunn include:
- Wanstead Park Golf Club in 1893 (now Wanstead Golf Club)
- Hampstead Golf Club
- Beckenham (now Beckenham Place Park Golf Club, c.1907)
- Wimbledon Common Golf Course (home to London Scottish Golf Club) in 1871 Tom Dunn expanded the course to 18 holes, or 19 holes, if the story recounted in The Happy Golfer (Henry Leach, 1914) is to be believed).
- Surbiton (original layout of 9 holes) 1895
- the ‘furzedown’ course of Tooting Bec Golf Club (1889)
- Sudbrook Park (Now known as ‘The Richmond’ Golf Club)
- Raynes Park*
- Hanger Hill*
*It seems these golf courses are now closed.
North Berwick website (www.northberwick.org.uk/dunn.html)
London Scottish Golf Club (www.londonscottishgolfclub.co.uk)
Leach, Henry (1914) The Happy Golfer. MacMillan & Co. (www.chestofbooks.com/sports/golf/Happy-Golfer)